Sunday, May 5, 2024

Kilshannig, Cork

We wend our way south after three nights in Dublin, through Counties Wicklow, Kilkenny and Waterford. How I hope we can travel through Carrick-on-Suir to the home of my Cramptons. We are on our way to The Courtyard, Kilshannig "the perfect guest house in Cork County area" so say they, located in the Fermoy region.

"Step into a world where timeless elegance meets modern luxury, where the tranquility of nature embraces the warmth of Irish Hospitality. Nestled in the breath-taking countryside, this historic estate invites you (they mean us) to embark on an unforgettable journey". It is just 17km from Cork Courthouse - many sites mention this so the courthouse must be special.



Of course it is just a short stay in order to visit Cork City. It is the second largest city in Ireland. As one of the major ports from whence many free and convict emigrants left for Australia, a major attraction is Cobn Heritage Centre and additionally a Museum. There is also Blarney Castle, Custom-House Cork City Gaol, and quite a few churches.

Cobn Heritage Centre tells the story of Irish Emigration to all parts of the globe. It is also recognised as the last port of call of the Titanic and Lusitania.

 Below is a well-known scene of Cobn street and equally well-known but as yet unnamed Cathedral.


I don't have any links to Cobn or Cork City. Almost all of my Irish emigrants left from Liverpool.





1 comment:

  1. Hope you have some photos of Cork for me to see when you're home, as my convict, Honora McCue, sailed from there 26 July 1818.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Tell me.

Is this the ancestral Buchan home?

  When I travelled to Newlandrig, on the day I came down with Covid, I was probably missing the subtle clues about the landscape and the bui...