Friday, May 17, 2024

The greatest urban Viking archeological site in the world (so far)

 Wood Quay is a block of Dublin on the south side of the Liffey. Fishambles St is on one border and my hotel room view is of the 1980s office blocks that now cover it. Already known for some finds, academic and popular protest - including a 20,000 strong march on City Council - delayed the building till a very thorough review was done. 

It was one of the stops on our walking tour, just out of Christ Church grounds we stopped by a modern office block, and across the lane was our Hotel. I had already spotted an unusual plaque on the street, and it turns out there are 20 such plaques surrounding the site, featuring images of artifacts found at the site. 



They found over 120 round homes on the site. This model shows Fishambles branching off to the right from the river’s edge.





The full story will have to wait till I buy the 70 Euro book from Amazon. Too heavy for my cabin baggage allowance.

This is the current state of the find, from outside my Hotel window:



1 comment:

  1. Hi Clare, very interesting artefacts. Cheers, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Tell me.

Is this the ancestral Buchan home?

  When I travelled to Newlandrig, on the day I came down with Covid, I was probably missing the subtle clues about the landscape and the bui...