Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Wild Ireland


I call it Wild Ireland because the marketing calls the Cliffs of Moher ‘Wild Ireland’. Well the wind was wild, and the distance from the car park was wild.

Kelly reminisced that when she was here 40 years ago there was no visitor Centre and no safety anything. In the 16 years since Daniel and I were here, three foot high solid rock barriers have been erected, actually cut into the ground. Previously there had been a rope slung about a foot of the ground ‘protecting’ us from the cliff edge about two feet away. I have never gotten over that day, with Daniel very keen to go all the way to the top. Thank heavens for on shore winds.


This is me taking the third selfie of my life - the first was in front of the Twelve Apostles in Victoria, and the other was of me and Pat Gilfedder (Dad’s cousin). She who helped me crack open the mystery of the Edinburgh Buchans.


K&N are much more relaxed with their soft cones.

We were very disturbed to see people sitting on the edges of the cliffs, well beyond the barriers, and could not go any further towards them.

The number for Ireland’s Lifeline was repeated at the site.



Did we see anything else wild? The sheep and cows looked content. The other visitors were very well behaved.

We didn’t use the golf cart like vehicle, the hilariously named, ‘Lifts of Moher’ to get back to the car park, even though we were running late to get to our next hotel.

€25 - that’s wild.

And we were leaving Clare and going to stay in Galway - just crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Tell me.

Is this the ancestral Buchan home?

  When I travelled to Newlandrig, on the day I came down with Covid, I was probably missing the subtle clues about the landscape and the bui...